The frequency of tree pruning can vary depending on the species and where the tree is planted. Some trees, like pine trees or spruce trees, may rarely require tree pruning. Other species,such as crabapple trees, may need tree pruning every two or three years. Consideration may need to be given to the location of the Tree. A business that has a crabapple in front may have their local tree service prune it every year, where as a crabapple tree in the back corner of a residential landscape can get by with a tree pruning cycle of every three or four years.
Reasons to Have Tree Pruning Done
- Remove excess interior tree branches
- Clear tree branches from a house.
- Remove low tree branches for vehicle or pedestrian traffic.
- Cut tree branches back from a driveway.
- Clear tree branches from a Building
- Prune tree branches to create a scenic view.
- Trim tree branches away from a sidewalk.
- Prune dead tree branches.
- Remove broken tree branches.
Benefits of Tree Pruning
- Reduce possible storm damage by removing excess interior tree branches.
- Improve traffic or pedestrian flow around trees or under trees.
- Improve view of traffic or business signs.
- increase health of trees by removing diseased branches.
- increase safety of trees by removing large dead branches or weak and broken branches.
- Improve growing conditions for landscape shrubs or grass.
- Create tidy and well kept appearance of landscape.
- Reduce level of leaf diseases by increasing the air flow throughout the tree canopy.
Questions to Ask
- How much tree pruning is going to be done? is the arborist or tree service only going to remove a few low branches, or will they be removing a certain percentage of the excess interior tree branches?
- Does the tree pruning cost include disposal of the tree branches?
- If large branches are being removed will the tree service take away the wood that is too large to grind up in the brush chipper?
- Is there a cost difference if the tree service leaves the wood?
- Does the arborist or tree service have the proper liability insurance coverage in the unlikely event something goes wrong?
- Will heavy equipment need to be driven on lawn to gain access to the tree?
- Is it okay to prune all your trees during the growing season or should certain tree species be scheduled for tree pruning when they are dormant?
Time to Prune
Most trees can be pruned any time of the year. There are exceptions to this in various parts of the county, and TimberMen Tree Service will be able to advise you if you have any concerns. For example, pruning Oak trees during the dormant season will minimize the transmission of Oak wilt disease. This is only one example of how it can be beneficial to consult with us about tree pruning.
Homeowners sometimes express concerns when tree pruning is done on Maple trees in the late winter because there can be bleeding (sap flow) of the tree wounds. This rarely causes significant harm to Maple trees. In fact, harvesting large amounts of sap from Maple trees is how we get maple syrup and the same Maple trees are Tapped each year.
Correct tree pruning involves cutting the tree branch properly and at the right spot on the branch. Cutting to close to the tree trunk exposes the tree trunk to potential decay. If the cut is too far out on the tree branch, the wound closure may be delayed to the point where they decay can enter the tree trunk. We know to prune the tree branch at the collar.
When TimberMen Tree Service performs tree pruning, we consider the current form of the tree and the natural way the tree grows. When we work with the natural form of the tree, it will take more than a passing glance to even tell any pruning has been done to the tree.
When TimberMen prunes a small tree, we are setting up the future branch structure of the tree. This is an important step in the correct development and health of the tree. Scaffold branches can be spaced at a distance that will allow the tree to develop healthy growth and may minimize the need for more severe tree pruning in the future.
Tree Pruning Equipment
When it comes to pruning large trees it is usually better to contact TimberMen Tree Service. We have the necessary tree pruning equipment to handle large tree pruning.
Pruning large trees usually requires tree climbing ropes and safety saddles and/or bucket truck. Large tree pruning often means larger dead branches will be pruned from the tree. TimberMen Tree service has brush chippers to dispose of the tree branches and trucks to take away the waste.
Numerous research studies have been done on trees regarding the need to paint tree wounds. The most current research on painting tree wounds indicates that not only is it not necessary, but it may even promote decay. A light coating of paint can be done on large tree wounds for the sake of appearance, but heavy tar is NOT recommended.
We Can Do the Job for You
As you can see, there are many reasons to hire, or at least consult with TimberMen Tree service. A poor, or incorrect tree pruning job can ruin a tree or may require years for that tree to recover and regain its Natural form and beauty.
Don’t assume that every tree service, will perform quality work and know what they are doing. The price for tree pruning is not the only consideration to make.